Saturday 13 July 2013

A REGGAE TRIBUTE TO THE BEATLES

A REGGAE TRIBUTE TO THE BEATLES : This is actually the first Beatles tribute Cds that I've ever bought. I got it from a friend who was in the music business selling off market products. It was probably the Cd cover that attracted me 'cos usually I don't buy any Cds before I have listened to it except in for The Beatles and their solo stuffs of course. I haven't heard of any of the artists here at all. The interpretation are not much different except for the reggae musical backing. Ironically there are two versions of the same songs by different artists as if The Beatles doesn't have enough good songs. 'Hey Jude' was done by both John Holt and Joe's All Stars which was an instrumental version. The same with 'World Without Love' which was done by Del Davis and Johnny Arthey Orchestra respectively. John Holt's version of 'Hey Jude' ended just as the famous 'Da da da da' came on which was really the backbone of the song. while David Livingstone's 'Yesterday' is laudable, The Israelites did a real good job of butchering one of my favourite Beatles' songs, 'Come Together.' I would have fallen asleep if I didn't have to write this. 'Get Back' by Anonymously Yours at least have an infectious beat that kept the song interesting. Phyllis Dillon's 'Something' does reminds me of Shirley Bassey.  'Give Peace A Chance' by The Maytals didn't even contain a proper verse, just the chorus of the ironic title keeps repeating and repeating. 'Lady Madonna' was an instrumental by The Crystalites.  Strangely I prefer 'Isn't It A Pity' by Nicky Thomas ( did a rather  an incredibly mediocre version of 'Let It Be' earlier ) to the George Harrison's originalHarry J. All Starrs' 'Don't Let Me Down' starts off interestingly with an intro of 'Give Peace A Change' that was somehow mingled into this instrumental. 'Blackbird Singing' ( actually just 'Blackbird' ) by Roslyn Sweet & The Paragons, 'Eleanor Rigby' by B.B Seaton and the final version of 'World Without Love' by Johnny Arthey Orchestra which is almost rendered unrecognisable, made up the rest which are rather mediocre stuffs that's quite incredible considering we are talking about Beatles songs here. Suffice to say, it'll be a while before this disc get to rest on my player.

DOP : 7th January 1999.



No comments:

Post a Comment